This week’s meal plan has me excited! So many new things to try…and increasingly so many challenges. I struggle when faced with new things. And going no dairy was great for the first two weeks, but now that I am officially out of my comfort recipes (of which I don’t seem to have as many as I had thought which are no-dairy) I am throwing caution to the wind and trying out all sorts of new flavours. Most of which happily seem to be going well. So here’s the plan (and yes, I’m halfway through!)
- Moo-Shu Veggie Salad wraps with peanuts. Aren’t those little Boston lettuces to die for! Almost too cute to eat, and add a wonderful texture to the warm cabbage wrap filling. I basically stir fry a little bit of garlic, add one shredded head of red cabbage a few shredded carrots, two diced green onions until the mixuture softens. Then I add a few tbsp of hoisin sauce (yes, store bought – oh shame) and one or two tbsp of tamari. Stir in about 1/2 cup chopped peanuts and then serve in the wrapped lettuce. (In the picture you see I had also made a wonderful cold soba noodle salad! Yum! And substituted the red cabbage for green, but after having tried it prefer the original.) This recipe was adapted from The Supermarket Vegan cookbook.
- Pinto bean sloppy joes on whole wheat buns with maple coleslaw. The kids LOVED this recipe also from the Supermarket Vegan book above. I need to tweak it a little before I share it with you – the joes were a little too sweet in my opinion. And goodness knows we already have enough sugar I am trying to cut out of our lives!
- Tomato and Basil Pasta with cashew cream sauce
- Black Eyed Peas with Collard Greens and brown rice. This recipe also needs tweaking, hence me not sharing (sorry!) Too spicy for the kiddos…so once tweaked I will share away and give a spicy option for adults!
- Chickin’ burgers and sweet potato fries (using Quorn brand veggie burgers) and of course a large salad. I have also found that surprisingly I am not above daiya cheese. And happily it’s a great substitute! We may even give the fries a go on the BBQ, being a long weekend and all.
- Chickpea Salad Sandwiches on whole wheat seeded bread. Mostly because this week has been HOT and cooking is overrated on these 85+F days!
- Avocado Pasta. Still haven’t tried out this recipe yet but I feel it will be a great addition to the week’s menu for the kids! It’s also super fast and meets my ‘hot day’ meal criteria.
So that’s this week! Happy Canada Day to all my fellow nationals. And Happy July 4th to those around me currently. Anywhere you are in the world I hope your week is great!