I’ve been spending more time in my life. And by that I mean offline. With my kids, in the moment, doing yoga and you know, life things. It has been great! (But isn’t everything always portrayed as great online? Well mostly.) Rarely do people use it as a “look how much my life sucks” forum. Unless they are using it to process life issues…and then sometimes that’s all you hear about. But for me, here, it’s about the happy stuff. Yes, there are life issues in my life. Or maybe not as many as I feel like there are in comparison to others (first world problems here, first world.) Generally happy. Generally good. And generally grateful for all that I do have.
So, first things first. What’s been on my plate recently… The Mexican taco bowls were a huge hit last week. So here is the recipe:
Another fabulous meal of late was another type of taco we tried…Cauliflower and Chickpea Tacos. Looking at the recipe I don’t think I would have ventured out to give these a go, but a close friend raved about them (and she’s never wrong when it comes to recipes) And low and behold, she was right again, keeping her record perfect.
I am still working on the 6 week dairy free diet to post here. It’s an ongoing process. I hope to include all recipes – which requires more time than my “live in the moment” current life provides. But it is in the works!
So this week’s meal plan included favourites (both oldies and newbies):
- Cauliflower and Chickpea Tacos (YUM! This will be made again soon! And my pictures don’t do it justice, go to the website via the recipe link and you’ll see it in real life colours. We are always in such a hungried hurry to eat over here that I’m rushed for snaps before the food does a disappearing act.)
- Quinoa with Zucchini and Ricotta Bake (Because freezer meals for later…and no picture. I have no idea why I have no pictures, I make this dish as a staple in our house every few months. I will take pictures this week when I make it! Yum!)
- Soba Noodle Salad (In the dishes, prior to putting it all together…Such a beautiful and colourful entree. Makes tastebuds dance.)
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas (Also, the freezer meals thing. And the only picture I have of this beautiful dish is the sweet potatoes. Mostly because once it is out of the oven I can’t wait to dive in, forgetting about pictures. And slightly because I mis-timed dinner and had two VERY hungry children sitting at the table demanding food as soon as it was removed from the oven…)
- Vegan Chili (New recipe!!! I still haven’t found a chili I like. In my head they are all measured up against my chili, pre-vegetarian days. I’ll let you know how this goes, but this blogger’s recipes are really, really good. So I am hopeful!)
So you’ve likely noticed my attention this week to freezer meals. And that’s because my husband is going away soon for a week on business. My motivation for cooking will likely nose dive during that time, so I’m thinking ahead and giving myself plenty of options for when he is away. These options may also include pancakes, pizza and ice cream. I am giving myself full permission to use whatever methods necessary to maintain my sanity during that time. Oh and also it is my birthday week. So ice cream, cupcakes and giving in to cravings will be a big part of my plan. Even if it means giving in to the kids to keep the peace. Just a little.
Oh and I’ve started instagramming (is that a verb? I limit myself to it once a day so it must be…) As much as this blog focuses on my meal plans, it focuses on my yoga practice (another huge part of who I am.) Follow me @backyargyogi
And as always…if you like what I write or post, share it! (Or like it! Or comment to let me know!) And if you don’t, don’t. 🙂